I hope your season is going well. It has come to our attention that various coaches and referees throughout the state are not adhering to the Player Development Initiatives mandated by U.S. Soccer, which were instituted by Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer prior to the start of the 2016-17 season. In particular, use of the build out line and enforcing the heading law for players has been inconsistent.
We understand that there may be a number of new coaches who are unfamiliar with the PDI. On our website, you’ll find resources to help explain the rules specific to the PDI:
- Explaining the 7v7 Build Out Line (Video)
- Coaching with the 7v7 Build Out Line (Video)
- Game Day Procedures Regarding Youth Heading (Video)
- U.S. Soccer Player Development Initiatives
We encourage Technical Directors and Directors of Coaching to share these resources with their coaches. In addition, State Youth Referee Administrator Jeff Tener is working to make sure officials in the state are on the same page as the coaches. These laws were established to make players better and assure the safety of young players.
Also, in order to assist our membership Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer offers any club or league on-site presentations to review the U.S. Soccer Player Development Initiatives as well as the following topics:
- Understanding the new coaching education pathway for both travel, recreation, and intramural coaches
- Providing copies of play, practice play session plans with a clear explanation of the value of the curriculum
- Helping parents recognize the qualities of a strong coach
- Clinics, fundraisers, day camps and community events
- The value of team, parent or club meetings
- TOPSoccer and starting your own club program
Please contact our office if you have an interest in setting up a meeting where all topics could be discussed or just issues that you see pertinent to your club’s development.
Have a great day,
Eastern Pennsylvania Youth Soccer